My name is Sioned and I love pizza. So much so I have had to find a healthy way to eat it so that I can it regularly. I will add a blog post soon about “proper – pizza” restaurants, but for now, with Christmas party dress season in sight and with my Slimming World classes going well each week, I’ll keep this post short and focused upon the humble cauliflower.
The beauty of this recipe is that it is essentially baked cauliflower cheese, with whatever toppings you have to hand or happen to fancy. By no means does it ever replace a proper pizza, but if you still want to zip the skinny jeans up then needs must. The recipe might seem a little faffy at first glance, but after your first go you will see how easy it is to make.
Cauliflower Crust Pizza
Ingredients: 1 packet of shop bought cauliflower rice/cous cous, 1.5 gently whisked eggs , Oregano, salt and pepper to season, Tomato puree, Grated mozzarella AND cheddar cheese, Pizza toppings of your choice
Prep time approx 5 minutes, Cook time approx 40 minutes
- Pre-heat the oven to 180c. Line an oven dish with baking parchment and add a little spray oil
- Cook the cauliflower according to the packet instructions, this is usually a few minutes in a microwave
- Gently beat 2 eggs, discard about half an egg or the base will be a little too wet. I season the egg mixture with salt and pepper and add dried oregano. Stir the cooked cauliflower. I tend to leave the mixture for a few minutes at this point as the cauliflower will absorb the egg mixture. It sounds gross, stick with me though.
- Spread the mixture onto the lined baking parchment, it will need to be a good 1cm thick to hold together. Shape the mixture how you fancy
- Add to the bottom oven shelf for 10 minutes, then bump up to the top shelf for a further 10 minutes. You will see now that you have a pizza base. Carefully flip this over and return to the oven for another 10 minutes. (so a total of 30 minutes)
- At this point add your tomato puree, as much cheese as you fancy and your toppings. I really recommend mixing the mozzarella with the cheddar though, its lush
- Return to the oven until the cheese is golden and bubbling. Serve hot.
- You are welcome
Serving suggestions – wine 🙂
Let me know if you try the recipe and have enjoyed it in the comments. What toppings did you have?